Friday, January 3, 2020

Disclaimer for mental illness and the beginning of my journey!

As a disclaimer I am not a professional on the topic of mental illness by any means. I have no schooling on the subject. But i have been experiencing it for the past 16 years now and i want to share my experiences on everything. I've taken many medications and have done some other treatments to deal with my illness.

When i was a kid I got picked on and bullied at school a lot. So much to the point that I didn't want to go to school. That is what started my depression. At the age of 12 I was first hospitalized at a hospital in Texas that is now closed. I was there for 10 days and during those 10 days we did a lot of therapy groups. We learned many coping skills also while in there. I'm not going to lie when I first got there I was terrified. To this day that is the only hospital that used straight jackets to calm the patients down that acted out.

After I got out I was doing ok. One of the side affects that I recently found out about the medication was that it can cause suicidal thoughts in children and young adults under the age of 24. If you are a parent reading this blog keep that in mind when you are putting your kid or teen on anti depressants. Another bad side affect was that my anger got really bad. I started lashing out at my parents and punching holes in the walls. I even kicked out a screen door. Though the anger spells did go away the longer I was on the medication. When I was younger I went through so many medications cause sometimes the ones that are working can all of a sudden stop working. It is important to be on the right mixture of meds.

At the age of 12 I was diagnosed as bipolar and they started me on mood stabilizers and antipsychotics. Later on in life I learned it is very hard to diagnose a 12 year old with bipolar. The symptoms normally start showing  around the age of 19.

No comments:

Post a Comment