Saturday, January 4, 2020

How to pick the right therapist.

A counselor once told me taking only the medication won't help you all the way that you also have to be seeing a therapist as well as taking the medication.

Trying to find the right therapist is very challenging. You want to find someone you are compatible with and can open up to and trust. While doing this you could be spending a lot of money in the process. Some advice I can give you is to try to check out www.psychologytoday.com. Now before I go any further I am not getting paid by them for you using their services. This is just the site I use to find therapist for different situations.

When you go to this site you can filter out a therapist by your insurance, location, male of female, age and what you are going through such as trauma or depression. One tip I can give you before you schedule an appointment is see if they offer sample consultations. Sample consultations is where you can talk to the therapist before you actually see them. You can normally do this over the phone and it's normally 15 minutes to an hour. I am not completely confident if its free but it should be cheaper than actually making an appointment. So when you call to schedule an appointment ask if they do sample consultations. That a way you won't be wasting your time and money on someone you may only see once or twice.

Don't be discouraged if the first session doesn't go as you expect it to go it sometimes takes multiple sessions to see if you mesh well with them.

In my opinion if you are the one doing most of the talking you probably should find someone else. You want someone who gives you input on your situations. It also helps to find someone who goes through the same situations as well but I know that can be hard to find in one try.

Make sure you are comfortable with them and are able to open up about everything. Not just surface level stuff.

Going through therapy you're going to be talking about a lot of things that may be hard to talk about. If you are not in a safe mind space when you leave I would bring that up to them. They can give you some helpful coping skills to use to deal with the depression or anxiety.

Your situation isn't going to get better over night some people do therapy for years.

Also a funny fact I found out that some therapist have their own therapist they see themselves.

If you find what I have to say informative make sure to follow me. If you are viewing this from your phone scroll to the bottom of the page and click "view web version" then you will be able to follow me without logging onto your computer.

I'll be putting out another blog tomorrow. Until then have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment